Over the last week we’ve witnessed:
- The Supreme Court hear oral arguments against Texas’ extreme 6-week abortion ban;
- The Supreme Court side with the Albany Diocese AGAINST New York State, potentially overturning health insurance requirements concerning abortion;
- Ohio’s introduction of HB 480 that is a total ban of all abortions and is structured like the Texas law, making citizens vigilante bounty hunters;
- Anti-choice Republican candidates, including the gubernatorial one, win across Virginia; and
- Close to home, in Nassau County, anti-choice Republicans win everything.But here in Westchester, it was different. WE WON!
We couldn’t have done it without you.
On Election Day, 90% of WCLA PAC’s endorsed candidates, rated 100% pro-choice by Choice Matters, WON! The “wins” for County Executive and County Clerk were overwhelming, in both cases 62% to 38%. The legislative races were tight, with our pro-choice voters making the key difference between winning and losing. (YEAH YOU!)
Candidates who ran on a pro-choice platform won, and anti-choice ones lost.
We proved again that abortion rights is a defining issue. Help us to continue to drive home this truth as we move forward into 2022. Contribute.
And in New Jersey, Governor Phil Murphy proved that abortion rights is a core issue when he won re-election – the first Democratic governor in New Jersey to win a second term in 4 decades! And he won as proudly pro-choice, pounding the airwaves and mailings with ads that highlighted his opponent’s extreme anti-reproductive rights, anti-woman positions.
This week must be a wake-up call for anyone concerned about reproductive freedom or access to abortion care. Our rights are under attack in Washington and in state-houses across the country. But that doesn’t mean we’re throwing in the towel.
This is why Choice Matters, together with its two political action committees WCLA PAC and ProChoice Voter, is laser focused on electing pro-choice champions in our communities — locally, statewide and nationally. They are key to defending our reproductive freedoms.
As we move forward, into 2022 and beyond, please know that we will stand with those who stand with us today and moving forward.
Our champions must protect reproductive healthcare clinics, birth control, and science-based sex education. They must stand for access for all, not just some.