- Do you provide abortion services?
Choice Matters is an advocacy group which fights for reproductive rights. We do not provide reproductive health services. Please click this link if you need help.
- What are the parental consent/notification laws per state?
Many states require some sort of parental involvement in the decision to have an abortion. Visit AGA for a chart on state laws concerning abortion. http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/sfaa.html
- Planned Parenthood also keeps a chart of all the states which have laws concerning minors and abortion.
- What is mifepristone, or RU-486? Is it the same as the morning after pill?
The morning after pill (also known as Emergency Contraception or Plan B) are pills that are available for people 18 years of age and older without a prescription, that you take after unprotected sex in order to prevent pregnancy. Mifepristone or RU-486 is called a medical abortion, and it is a pill that you take to induce early abortions. For more information about Plan B or if you need it, visit oops-planb.com . If you need an abortion, contact your local Planned Parenthood or your healthcare provider.
- Is Choice Matters a Democratic organization?
No. Choice Matters is non-partisan and independent of all political parties.
- I am writing a paper on abortion for school. Can you point me to some resources?
Check out our Pro-Choice Papers for resources.
- What happens in an abortion?
Planned Parenthood has a helpful sheet on this. http://www.plannedparenthood.org/birth-control-pregnancy/abortion/procedures.htm
- What is a partial birth abortion?
There is no such thing as a partial birth abortion (PBA) It is not a medical term. It is a political term invented by opponents of abortions to demonize all abortions. Opponents claim that they are trying to stop late-term abortions, but in fact, they are opposed to all forms of abortion. In reality, so-called PBA is a medically necessary procedure that can be performed as early as 12 weeks. These same opponents are putting laws in place that make it harder to get an early abortion, forcing women to have their procedures later. Go to the Articles page and read My Turn: I had that Now-Banned Abortion